Am I ready for "Online"?
Online courses provide great educational opportunities to many people who find it difficult to participate in regularly scheduled classes on campus. Having taken distance learning courses, students say that the courses can be exciting, challenging, enriching and convenient, but are they for you? Distance learning courses are no less demanding and time consuming than on-campus courses. In fact, they require a high level of self-motivation, discipline and independence.

How do I know if I am ready for learning online?  Answer three questions:

• How much time can I commit to the course? Don’t be fooled into thinking that online courses require less time...after all it’s just working on a computer, right? Wrong…reading, writing, reflecting, discussing, and studying arel requirements for an online course. You should be prepared to spend at least as much time on an online course every week as you do on an campus course. Before signing up for an online course take a careful look at your work schedule, family obligations etc. and determine for every week of the course when you can make the time necessary to be successful. Don’t be fooled into thinking that you can "squeeze" the time in as you go along. Time Management 101 provides a tutorial to help you to plan and manage your time.

• What kind of a learner am I? Successful online learners are independent learners who are motivated and self-disciplined. The ability to learn and study independently, and keep up with assignments and tests is required for a successful online experience. Because your communications with an instructor won’t be "live" you may not have as immediate feedback from an instructor as you may wish. Online students need to feel comfortable requesting clarification of instructions and assignments. Here is a simple Self-Assessment Tool that will tell you how ready you are for learning online.

• Am I familiar with the basics of computer and Internet technology? To successfully participate in an online course or online component of an on-campus course you need a basic knowledge about your computer and how to perform frequent tasks, such as managing files, handling e-mail, and attaching or uploading documents. In theory you could acquire those skills as you go along, in practice, however, you would double the time it takes to send an email or attach an assignment, for example. Internet 101 will get you started on checking your skills.

Frederick Community College Page Revision Date 6/13/2017